Tuesday, March 13, 2007

You Know It's Spring When...



...chub rub makes it's first appearance!

The day brought fantastic temps and I just had to pull out the shorts for this run today. But alas, the one lone item that didn't find it's way into my bag this morning was my body glide. Ok, um, does this mean my inner thighs have gotten fatter since last shorts season??? Whatever the case, no amount of chafing could have put a damper on my run this afternoon. 6 miles at a tempo pace (for me anyway) and loads of people in the park make for a very enjoyable run. I saw the most adorable little girl in bright green rubber boots walking along the path with her mom and I just HAD to tell her how sassy she looked! Everyone else I passed looked so happy, so thankful for that huge change in the weather. My one sister always jokes with me when we run-she says I turn into a much nicer person when I run...saying hello to anyone I pass or waving if I'm currently battling a hill of some sort. Running makes me feel nicer. Too bad my husband can't just continually have me running to stay that way-he would benefit the most for sure.

After my 6 I met Pier a little later for her 4. She couldn't join me earlier since her "mom-ly" duties had other plans for her after work. But nonetheless, she worked around her other obligations and I met her at her house later in the evening. The great run from before just continued on with her. But by mile 2.5 I was realizing that I was starving...I mean STARVING! And since I was just in Pier's house earlier today I knew exactly what was there-my all time favorite, my all time love, and also my all time nemesis...peanut butter. I've found that I can't be left alone with peanut butter-it's not good for me and it certainly isn't good for the peanut butter...cuz it doesn't stand a chance against me and my trusty spoon-jars have perished in my presence (it's no wonder I have chub rub!). Anyway, that's all I could think of! Two slices of wheat bread with peanut butter and a glass of cold chocolate milk (hey, it's soy...I can consider it healthy)!

So we got back and sat in her kitchen and chatted as I hoovered up my delicious post run snack. Her daughter joined us and I once again was reminded of how much I look up to Pier as a mother. She and my oldest sister always come to mind-both were single moms for the majority of their children's lives and they turned out absolutely fantastic kids. I can only hope I can do the same someday...hopefully the common denominator isn't the singlehood-I think George would have a problem with that.
Posted by Picasa

30 comments:

George said...

Hey honey it's me... I did something stupid today that might make you a little angry... could you grab your phone and run in circles around the building you work in so I can call you and tell you about it? I want you at your nicest. :-) Just kidding. You're nicer than you're letting on. Great post, btw... I love the part about jars perishing... I've seen the little jar corpses and the decapitated lids... that's one dangerous spoon you got there.

p.s.- you ain't chubby

p.p.s - shout out to Pier!

Soapin' Cindy said...

Runners have the nicest legs! I got a pretty bad case of the chafe after my sprint triathlon last summer...about the same place but the bike was the perpetrator in this case. My son is a peanut butter pillager as well. I've seen the evidence laying around in the kitchen of his peanut butter attacks as well. Great post.
Hey..we're all running together on Sunday. Have Mike give you my e-mail address. I'm not sure if he's going to be in town, but I'd love you have you along. I'd like to do 12 miles, but some of the obsessive compulsive are doing 17.

Maria said...

Thanks Red! I would have loved to join you on Sunday but I'm actually going to hook up with the Vertical Runner group in the North Chagrin Reservation-even though it's so close to my house I've never gone back and explored the trails so I'm hoping to learn a few new spots to hit. Are you running next Sunday?

Soapin' Cindy said...

I run every weekend! We'll plan something sometime. Have fun on your run!

Maria said...

Well per my training schedule next week is supposed to be an easy week with some shorter runs-want to plan on an easy 6 miler next weekend some time?

Soapin' Cindy said...

I would love to, but I'm going to out of town next weekend visiting my little sis and I'll be lucky to squeeze in a run. I start to get a little panicky at this prospect, but definitely the next weekend. I'll get your e-mail and we'll plan something. Are you doing a spring marathon?

Maria said...

Sounds good! Have a great trip...

I'm doing the Cleveland 1/2 to try and work myself back into the racing thing before training for the full Marine Corps. Marathon in October. I once had grand plans of doing 2 marathons a year but after the fracture, I think I'll just stick with a handful of halves and 1 full per year. What about you? Any spring marathons (full or half)?

Soapin' Cindy said...

Sounds like we have the same plan. I'm running the Cleveland half also, then I'll do the Akron Road Runner for the 4th time. It's getting to be a very bad habit, that crazy Road Runner!!

Anonymous said...

Do I recognize those deer below? Nice! And the chub rub was very attractive....I use compression shorts for that particular area...I have always been susceptible there. Just the basic old variety from Walmart or Target under my shorts prevents chafing....I still require the body glide for feet and nipples.

Pier said...

OUCH!! you said you had "the rub"...ugh!! Where do I buy "glide"? Does it come in "body dip" size?? I am guessing that would be the best protection. Something to attach to the shower head for thorough application!

Sweet post, except for the ouchy part! And very kind of you to mention my family. I've been blessed with both of my children and they make me proud!

Mi peanut butter es su peanut butter, Maria!! (just no double-dipping!)

p.s. i agree with george. you ain't chubby

p.p.s shouting back out to george!!

Maria said...

Wow Red, the 4th time, huh? Have you done other marathons as well? I'm a little nervous about doing a race away from home but hopefully it's as fun as everyone says it is. Although, if it's as expensive as I hear it is then I might just stick to either the Akron or the Towpath marathon for the fall.

Hey Mike, yep those are parts of your pictures I pilfered...hope you don't mind :) As for the chub rub, I was wearing compression shorts, I just always normally body glide the inside of my thighs anyways since the shorts always ride up (hence the chub part of that term). The body glide seems to keeps them in place.

Maria said...

PIER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There you are daaahhhlliinnngg!

Pier said...

Maria! GET TO SLEEP!!!!!

Maria said...

I can't!!!!!!!!!!! I fell asleep at 9 and just woke up...wah!!

Pier said...

Oh no!!!!!

I fell asleep around 10:30 and woke up about an hour ago. yikes!

Hey! how come the time is off on the blog? I have 2:23am on my clock.

Maria said...

I think cuz of the stupid time change.

Yeah I was going to say...quit lecturing me lady, you gotta a class to teach tomorrow morning!

My 6 was good tonight :) I can't wait to go hiking with you tomorrow! (or technically "later today")

Pier said...

Since we are both up, we should just go do the hike now.

Maria said...

There I fixed the time :)

hahahaha...we should! You'd be pretty damn tired though teaching your class. You could just take a nap on the floor

Maria said...

...and would you please fix your picture!!!!!

Pier said...

Good idea!

I noticed the time changed. Glad you said you did it. Thought the site was haunted!

Okay, I better try to get some sleep. Ciao!

Pier said...

What's wrong with my picture? It is clearly me....white with red x.

Do you think that looks like someone else??

Maria said...

Night!

Maria said...

Don't make me put that picture of you from the christmas party in there...

Pier said...

Evil!!!

Maria said...

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

(that's my evil laugh)

Pier said...

Gee. I couldn't tell.

I'm not tired.

Pier said...

must...sleep....

Maria said...

I'm not either but I am hungry

Pier said...

Late night snack to fuel our run in a few hours....dunkin' donuts is open!! I bet it's only a four mile run from my house, maybe less.

Okay. Enough of our silliness!

To bed!!!

Maria said...

Yes mom :(