Thursday, March 1, 2007

Understated elegance

In my opinion, the east side of Cleveland is really different from say, the south or the west side of northeast Ohio. Running seems to course much more freely through the veins of the inhabitants there. Now, I'm not saying that there is no running community here but it just doesn't seem as prevalent or intense as the aforementioned. Everyone there has their Lock 29's, miles and miles of Buckeye Trail, and the ever beautiful Hinckley Lake. But here on the east side we seem to have more rolling bass thumping SUVs than hills.

Unless, of course, you let go of the stereotype of the Euclid Creek Reservation. For years I was told very bad things about that park. Shit, even now when I tell people where I run they seem a little disbelieving of the perils that surely await me (in their own heads, mind you). I've never felt more at home or at peace than when I go there. It reminds me of everything that was basic in my journey to becoming a runner. When I was so overweight a couple years ago my dad took me there to help motivate me to return to what I knew was still buried inside-even if it happened to be under pound upon pound of McDonald's and KFC and Mr. Hero. I remember not even being able to run a half mile straight with him. But he always knew how to help, he always knew what to say. So I can't help but think of him every time I make those familiar turns. It's nothing noteworthy really-some might even dislike it...the path is close to the road, it's kind of a short course so if you want any type of lengthy run you have to turn and trace your steps back and forth and back and forth, and in essence, the entire one leg of it is all uphill. But I love it. It fits me like my most comfortable pair of Asics does.


Tuesday gave us warmer temps thankfully so the run Pier and I had was all that better! I ran my first five before she got off work and then joined her for two and a half of her miles. Running with her invigorates me-it's nice when someone that you're choosing to spend your time with makes you want to be a better friend, a better person and more importantly, a better runner.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice photo there at the bottom. I love it.

Maria said...

Thanks Mike...the photos that you take all over the country inspired me to start documenting some of the fun that I have while running