Monday, December 17, 2007

What Better Way?

My original plan this weekend was to run 10 miles with Greg D. and celebrate my personal "I'm back" moment with a cheeseburger and beer but after my horrible drive back from Toledo the night before I decided I wanted nothing to do with my car and my four nearly bald tires. The weather forecast for Sunday was anything but desirable but I kept hoping that the longer I waited the more palatable I would magically find the weather but as the clock neared 2 I knew it was either get out there or do 10 on the dreadmill which was far scarier than braving the elements.
I had also wanted to go to the grocery store but that would defeat my plan of not getting in my car so I mapped it out and decided that 2 of my 10 would be spent running to the grocery store for the handful of things I needed...I just strapped a backpack on and headed out into the storm. For the very few readers out there who don't live in Northeast Ohio let me just say this in regards to the weather-it was 14 degrees with the windchill, heavy blowing snow and winds were at 25mph when I got out there.

I got about halfway to the store and decided that it was just stupid to be out there. I made a plan to turn right instead of left at the corner and go back home to complete my miles on the treadmill. As I was heading back though I started to feel really let down...for fuck's sake, what better way to prepare myself for winter 50k than running in these conditions? Who knows what the weather will hold for January 26th so I might as well give myself a taste of horrible, right? Right. I turned back around and continued on my way to the store.

After making it to the store and back I dropped off my groceries and foraged on through the storm. Thank god I smothered my face with vaseline before I left because I think that's the only thing that saved me from getting a windburn on my exposed skin (I cannot stand wearing anything over my mouth hence my lack of scarf). You all know I hate droning on with boring details so I'll leave it at this...it was one of the hardest runs I've done but definitely one of the most fulfilling. Once I got home and my icicle laden hair thawed I realized that regardless of what the weather may bring in January I'm up for anything...as long as I get to keep putting one foot in front of the other I'm one happy girl.

7 comments:

Sam said...

You are one tough girl.
Congrats!

Bob said...

Sam took the words right out of my mouth . . . Awesome girl!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Not only ran 10 in those conditions, but carried groceries for some extra weight training! You're thinking about Winter BT50K was right on! Tough as nails, Maria!

I believe the cold and snowy runs make us mentally tough, and we get stronger physically too. It's all about attitude...life's 10% what happens to us, and 90% how we react to it. Say no to the treadmill and go out and run, love it! Great you're up to 10 miles already!

Soapin' Cindy said...

I feel like such a bad ass when I run in weather like that. We might have to invest in one of those face mask covering things (forget what they're called, but only your eyes peek out--very assasin like..) if the weather is crap for January 26th. Aren't you glad you did it? But...glad I got my running in on Saturday when it was just cold as f@*@$

Viv said...

You are tougher than Mother Nature, no doubt!

Running 2 Mohican said...

You Da Man.... I mean You Da Girl!!!!

Running 2 Mohican said...

Maria,

We are starting to miss you again!

Smiles: Rob