Sunday, December 9, 2007

Bad Idea

I'm doing this post for Rob...because as he pointed out in the comments of the previous post, I should really get going. ~smirk~

So...HERE I AM! Actually I've been good on getting back into things. Slowly, but nevertheless still building it back up, one mile at a time. I got the green light from my doctor a while back to train for the winter BT50k so that's where my focus has been as of late. That is, until I made the mistake of getting too close to my dear sweet little niece who had in fact NOT fully recovered from her stomach flu. I'll spare you the details of my woes this past week except for this tidbit: no one should throw up for days on end and then try to cram all their miles in within the last few days of the week.

Hence the title of this post... although the company was fantastic this morning. Along with Red and Debi whom I adore running with, E-Speed & her friend Amy joined us as well as Brett and two newer members of SARC-Bob and Denise. I've got to hand it to Red...she provides an essential service to area runners...always making them feel welcome, always making them feel capable.

We all had different mileage goals. Don't get me wrong, I would have loved to be able to stick with them for their 13-18 miles but per my carefully constructed plan, I only had 8 or 9 on tap. The minute we stepped onto the trail it was apparent it was going to be a very slick, very dirty run...just the kind most of us love. The mud was bad but at least it served as a pretty decisive slash through the pristine white landscape. There's no mistaking where you should go when your feet have no other choice than to suction to what lays ahead of you.

I felt pretty good until about 30 minutes into the run and then the few stores of energy I had just seemed to ooze out of me and mix with the already muddled path. Putting one foot in front of the other was starting to seem like a Herculean effort. Nonetheless though, it was great to be out there and I was just so happy to not be kneeling at the mercy of my toilet at that point.

My halfway mark couldn't have come sooner, while everyone else looked to be comfortable as hell, I found that I was drenched in a cold sweat and the color had kinda drained from my face. Red shared a few of her fig newtons with me which I inhaled with the hopes of some renewed energy...alas, it did not happen. Thankfully Denise was willing to turn back and make the return trip with me. I've never run with her before but was so glad to have her with me today! She put up with my stopping and slow pace with the patience only my mother should have with me! We made it back and she graciously gave me a banana that she had in her car. I don't think I could have gotten home any faster than I did... a nice hot shower and an afternoon in bed was just what I needed.

So even though it wasn't the most ideal run, it was still so great to be out there. I love the group of people that I've met and I love how the trail always seems to welcome me back...regardless of how long we've been apart.

15 comments:

Running 2 Mohican said...

You are going girl and that is all that you need to do right now. Slow and easy you will go.

Glas to see a post. Lets see the weekly report from here out. See ya at the winter BT50k

Maria said...

Yes sir!

Are you doing the BT50k?

Viv said...

Welcome back, Maria. I agree with Rob weekly reports.

Glad the hot shower and rest did you well as did the rest.

E-Speed said...

Hope you are feeling better! Flu's are no fun. Glad you were able to get out even if it was a bit rough.

Anonymous said...

Hi Maria. I stumbled across your blog some time ago via the Vertical Runner web site - I wondered if you were the same Maria when we met on Saturday. While I'm still coming off an extended injury myself, I thoroughly enjoyed my inaugural trail run with ya'll - WOW, a group of women who don't mind getting a little dirty! HA, Loved it! Hope the stomach has settled and that you're feeling better. Thanks for making me feel welcome - I hope I can join ya'll again soon on another run!

Brett S. said...

It was a great group on Sunday. And to think we all stayed together for the most part no group A and group B. Glad that you made it back and got that shower.
Bob, nice meeting you and running with you for the time you had. Hope to see you again

Anonymous said...

Atta way, Maria! Sounds like you are being so smart w/ your comeback, adding miles slow and steady! Glad you're back and you'll be running sweet for BT50K!

Maria said...

Thanks Viv-it's so good to be back!

E-it was so great to get a chance to run with you finally! Hopefully next time I can enjoy myself a bit more ☺

Bob it was great to meet you...yeah, if you're going to run with us you GOT to get used to gettin' a little dirty from time to time *giggle*

Brett-as soon as I got home I had to go look at that nasty tick you were talking about...not fun!

Aw thanks Tony...too bad I wasn't back a little sooner-I could have had actually run with the infamous Tony the Tiger!

Soapin' Cindy said...

Yeah...a blog post from Maria!! Hope you're feeling better. Bob's in trouble for not commenting on my blog yet...shouldn't he know not to piss off a red-head? Hell hath no fury like a red-head scorned! LOL!

Running 2 Mohican said...

I will be there. I have a 100 the next weekend that I did not confirm until this last week. So I may end up volunteering.

Maria said...

Hey Red...you'd think your fellow red head would know LOL!

I was actually quite surprised to see a comment from him!

Rob you have to be there...who else is going to catch me & Red whispering about all the good lookin guys on the trail? ☺

Anonymous said...

Guess I better jump over to that other blog and say something . . . I think "someone" may be feeling a little neglected?! Two redheads clashing would not be pretty - nobody deserves to see that! ;-)

Oh crap, now I've done two posts here and none over there - I am really in deep dodo now!

Anonymous said...

So, where does it get dirtier . . . the front of the pack or the back of the pack? Just asking for future reference . . .
;-)

Maria said...

Wherever Red and I are is where it gets dirty *giggle*

No really, I'm an angel...

Bob said...

I would have guessed that!

... yeah, and I'm Brad Pitt! ;-)