Sunday, July 29, 2007

Disjointed

I only had 10 on tap for today so I opted to stay around my neck of the woods and forgo running with the group. I wanted to be out there by 6:30 this morning but I guess I can't expect much rigidity from myself when the only person waiting on me is, well, me. I woke up at 5 and realized I was out of oatmeal so I scavenged around and decided on a piece of banana bread...eh, it'll do. George had to work this morning so he was in the bathroom getting ready-I inhaled my pre-run fuel and stupidly laid back down in bed while waiting for him to finish up in the shower. I fell asleep and woke up at 7:15. So much for being out there by 6:30. I then went through the debate I seem to have whenever I'm running a longer run by myself. Back and forth I told myself I should just go...no I shouldn't go...yes you should go, you'll be mad if you don't....no, I've been feeling run down (total lame, not very true excuse), I should lay back down...oh for the love of christ, just go, GO, you fucking baby.

At this point I slammed around the house getting ready like I was being forced by someone other than myself to do this stupid run. God damn it...my bodyglide's outside in the car (at this point, please read these sentences with the clawing, annoying tone of a whiny four year old...cuz that's exactly how I was acting, um... in my house... all by myself). I scraped my feet along out to the car and grabbed my bodyglide and realized that it was dangerously close to being gone-figures. Welp, cross my fingers and hope to god that there's enough to cover all the numerous places that rub; yeah, no dice-I only had enough for my thighs so I knew I'd end up with a bloody sportsbra by the end of the run. It's not my nipples that bleed like most people experience, it's underneath my tits...just as uncomfortable, and just as icky. But whatever, I don't care...I'll be lucky if I even successfully GET to the park. Oh, and I don't have a spare GU anywhere...again, it just figures.

I got there and ran. If it's possible, I'd have to say that the humidity today was actually offensive...it offended my every sense. But despite it's attempts to make me turn around and find nicer company within air conditioned walls, I did all 10 miles and smiled at each and every one of the other people who were brave enough to be active in this sweat inducing atmosphere. I finished in 1:26:54 which breaks down to an average of 8:41 splits. Not bad considering what this morning could have ended up as if I had given in to the comfort of my bed.

11 comments:

Teresa said...

Wow. You're my hero Maria. I'll know I've arrived when I can have a run like that and still manage 8:41 splits!

So was it a bloody mess?

Btw, I smiled at (nearly) everyone this morning too. Somehow it makes the pain more bearable.

Maria said...

Thanks PJ! It scares me that I need to do 8:24 splits if I'm going to qualify for Boston-that thought makes my insides feel all pukey.

Wasn't too messy but the blood mixed with sweat made for a very "pink" sportsbra...nothin' some vaseline can't soothe though.

I always smile or wave-it does seem to make the pain more bearable, I agree.

Viv said...

Maria, way to get out there in spite of the arguments u had with urself. Seriously, I was laughing my ass off! U will do Bawhston..

Sam said...

You are funny! I still don't know why I can't get my ass out of bed, do a few jumping jacks, lay down a little "Another One Bites The Dust" at the top of my voice, jump into my gear and head out the door for a run.
Reality is I fight it, fight it, fight it.
Guess there's pre-race jitters and pre-workout freaking anger!
Go hardcore! Great post!

Soapin' Cindy said...

You would have beat yourself up all day if you didn't get out there and slog through the steambath. We still missed you! You missed our communal sweat drip. I think Roger sweats even worse than Jim...can you believe that?

Mistress Empyrean said...

I'm a lazy wanker. I always opt for the bed over almost everything.

Anonymous said...

Um...so you know that whole internal debate you said you had about whether to go run, whether to stay in bed...?

I pretty much never have that debate.

I did send the kid out to check the mailbox today. A new low.

Maria said...

Well DD, for me, it's either have that debate now or later in life have the debate on whether or not I need a crane to extract me from my home so I can be a guest on the next Springer show.

And I wouldn't worry about sending your kid out to get the mail...that's what you had them for, right? Free slave labor? ☺

Jay said...

I just swap for Astroglide when my Bodyglide runs low.

Maria said...

But what if I've used my Astroglide for, um, other purposes?? *snicker*

Tim Looney said...

I have internal debates most weekends before my run especially if I am not planning on meeting anyone else. This past month my lazy self has won.

Of course I always say that I am the laziest person to have ever run 100 miles. :-)