Tuesday, May 15, 2007

It's a Thin Line

I'm so fickle about the weather. When it's cold, I find complaints. When it's hot, my complaints get huffy and full of hot air. Today was the warmest it's been for one of my runs in well over a year-you figure I hurt myself in May of last year so I was spared the hell of running in hell inspired temperatures (although that part of it was kind of unappreciated at the time). Anyway, the degrees on the thermometer seemed to rise in sync with my ever mounting intimidation of the half marathon this weekend. I know I can cover the distance but I keep vacillating between just going to run my best or to focus on getting a PR. I've been having this conversation with friends and I always sprinkle this topic with a smile and a nod to the fact that "I'll just be happy to finish" even though on the inside that little girl who is craving competition and recognition (albeit from the small circle of people who make up my life) is kicking so hard against that lowered expectation of myself. So you see, I'm not sure where Dr. Jekyll ends and Mr. Hyde begins.

Fast forward to now...as I sit at my computer, completely finished with my inferno run from earlier. Nothing is as inspiring as a finished mile (or 2 or 4 or 500...you just pick your poison). I'm not religious nor would I even consider myself spiritual so sometimes that inspired feeling creeps up on me, takes me by surprise and makes me wonder if I'm going soft. After a run is when you should make your move, make your plans...because nothing is as scary once you've conquered the first battle of the war. I'm determined to progress back to where I was when I got hurt. I'll run this half marathon and compete solely against myself. And come hell or high water, I will run Boston in the next two years...the idea is so infectious...I found this video and I had to put it in-if you're not a runner I'm very sorry if it's boring to you...feel free not to watch it for fear of being bitten by the bug that has now wormed its way into so many parts of my life.

3 comments:

Soapin' Cindy said...

I'm going to get to the Boston Marathon one of these days. If I can do it, then I know you can do it too...and a whole lot sooner. You have all the right ingredients for getting to Boston in the next few years! As for running a PR this weekend, or just running...you don't have to make a decision now. Just wait and see...during the race you'll know if a PR is possible. You know my theory about the running gods...you just never know when they're going to be smiling down! I'm getting very excited too!

Josh said...

I don't think it's possible to train for something like a marathon and not have running be such a huge part of your life. I know I wouldn't have it any other way. Good luck this weekend!

Maybe You, Red and I will all make it to Boston together someday ;).

Maria said...

Oh Red I hope the running gods like me this weekend!

Josh you're going to be at Boston next year I bet! As for me & Red...we'll see you there when you're on your third or fourth visit there :)