Friday, May 4, 2007

Disdain, Party of 1...Your table is ready

It was days like today that made me never want to run again. How in god's name did I ever run 26.2 miles? Chalk this up to another bad run for the week. I guess I can only get a two week reprieve from bad workouts at a time. It should have been good-my sister, my dad and Pier were all there running too. George even came along to snap some pictures. But to no avail. Now I know my friends think I'm too hard on myself when it comes to expectations but that's honestly not what's going on here. Let me say this first-I had 10 miles to log and I did it. End of story. Oh, aren't I proud?

So when I rant and rave, don't take it as anything other than my pure disdain for the reality of what actually occurred during this particular workout. I thought I'd be smart and take my speedwork out in the sun instead of being stuck on the little torture device in my basement that most people refer to as a treadmill. Pier had to get in a few miles and lives close to the track so she decided to go as well. My sister also wanted to run 5 miles so she opted for a change of scenery and came along too. And my dad, being the giver that he is, sacrificed a full run so he could time my splits for the speedwork portion of my run. During my recovery periods he jogged with me...all the while ignoring the f bombs that were exploding out of my mouth at every turn of the track. I know very well that I probably shouldn't swear so much in front of my parents but after knowing me for all my 31 years, I think they both have settled on the fact that those words are as much a part of my personality as my drive and determination are. The flip side of passion unfortunately can be ugly and rash and not always appropriate.

After 5 miles on the track, I just couldn't take it any longer. Misery had it's noose around my neck and was threatening to kick the chair away so I opted to finish out my last 5 miles at the park-which was also awful but that was just par for the course I guess. Once I got home and showered I called my dad to let him know what the outcome of the last part of my workout was. Right before I got off the phone with him I asked if I was too bitchy earlier. He just chuckled and said "No you weren't TOO bitchy, you were just bitchy."

6 comments:

Pier said...

It was a very off day for us, but no fear! We have many days still ahead!!!

I LOVE that picture effect! You're too cool, girl!

Soapin' Cindy said...

How did you do that? The pictures were just amazing. Who cares how the run went...you looked good. You all looked amazing. I know what you mean about dropping "f" bombs. I have a pretty decent vocabulary as well, but can't resist the "f" bombs when I'm pissed.

Maria said...

Thanks Red! The site I used for the pictures is www.rockyou.com
You can do a bunch of different things with your pics.

Maria said...

And Pier you ROCK! Not all of us could have the high school boys eating out of our hands the way you did :)

Kim said...

Those are the runs I consider triumphs. When they suck, but you still do them anyways.

Maria said...

Thanks for stopping by Kim-we were thinking of you and Josh Sunday morning!

And you're right about considering those runs triumphs...and that's exactly how I felt the day AFTER :)