Monday, February 19, 2007

Chili Bowl

The 2007 Chili Bowl proved to be a little nicer temperature-wise than last year;we had a balmy 18-20 degree morning with the windchill only hovering around 8 degrees (as opposed to last year's -7). Being my first race in close to a year (due to a self induced fractured pubic ramus bone with very stupid overtraining) I was a little nervous. Oh the issues, let me count the ways...

  • I ate like shit (king cake, candy and girl scout cookies) all week and I thought for sure God would "remind" me how hard it is to run well when you've fueled yourself with strictly refined sugar
  • it's been so long what if I forgot how to pace myself?? Yes, I know it's just a 5k but still!
  • my right foot has been bothering me lately
  • when I put together my current training schedule for the Cleveland half marathon coming up in May I based my speedwork/tempo runs around what I thought would be my current 5k time since I hadn't done one in so long-hence, failure at meeting my mark (25:30) to me spelled failure ALL AROUND (overdramatic in my own head? Why yes, yes I am)
Now, my husband has told me for years that when he accompanies me to races he sees everyone else all happy and laughing and smiling...and then there's me-sitting against the wall thinking of all the horrible outcomes for myself. Well, since Pier and my father were going to be racing as well, I figured I would act the part of a happy-go-lucky-no-cares-in-the-world-optimistic type of girl. It worked and I actually felt that way before the race.

If only that feeling could have lasted. I succeeded in the time I wanted-actually I did better than what I needed to do (25:02 was my official time) but all you other runners will know what I mean when I say I felt out of control the whole time. It just made me sad that first of all, I'm no where near my PR at a 5k and I had to work way harder than I can ever remember. I wanted to reach my goal and feel strong and stable all the way till the end...instead I just felt like I was going to puke or better yet, be stopped on the course and offered a job as a phone sex operator cuz I was breathing so heavy!

All in all though, it was a decent race and I couldn't have been happier to have my dad and Pier there participating. They lift my spirits on a continual basis.


A big thank you to my mom and my husband for braving the weather to cheer us on and for snapping the great shots that she did. Oh, and to George...I did work son, I did work!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maria and Pier!

Now I have another local running blog to watch! Keep it up. As Maria showed me, there will be many more people reading and benefiting from your writing than you will realize!

When she looked up at me and exclaimed "Oh my god you are the Fit from Fat guy!" I was so blown away, and it really renews the dedication to post on my blog to know that people are enjoying it.

As per the marathon, there is something you should know:



You CAN do it! You can do so much more than you imagine you can at first. I am not the first person to say that the biggest limits exist between your ears.

Mike (the fit from fat guy)

Maria said...

Thanks for checking out our blog Mike! Come back any time :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Maria! You should be really proud of yourself. I only wish I had the drive and stamina to do something like that - and in the freezing cold weather too! I love your page. You're going to have so much fun looking back at it after you win the Chicago Marathon. :)

Pier said...

Hey Mike!
Thanks for the words of encouragement! With this little running circle of enthusiasts, I am sure I can keep plugging along!

Pier