Saturday, September 15, 2007

Erase and Rewind

I quit smoking 7 years ago. The thing I remember most was the feeling that without the cigarettes I wasn't myself anymore. I would go to parties or out to the bar and I would feel like a different person. I wasn't as funny, or as confident or even as sharp as I felt I used to be. Just everything about me seemed...skewed. At the time I felt like I would never be the same again. I felt awkward and unsure and clearly directionless. I would sit at the bar and literally rip the labels on my beer bottles to shreds since I didn't know what else to do with my hands. I felt like everyone who looked at me saw how much I didn't belong in my own skin, in my own surroundings.

I'm 6 weeks into no running. Unlike cigarettes though, I have no desire to abstain from this addiction. But just like with smoking, a part of my persona feels sick and unbalanced. I haven't been working out AT ALL in the past three weeks except for going to the lab once a week. So on top of no running, I'm getting soft and fat...doesn't that sound great? I don't feel like myself and it's starting to truly drain me. I'm normally such a positive, optimistic (albeit sarcastic) person but when I don't have this outlet, I turn into that girl fumbling at the bar. Don't get me wrong, I'm not so much a drama queen that I think this is the worst that can happen-I'm not a fucking moron, I KNOW it could be worse. But for the time being, my outlook seems to have soured a bit and I'm anxiously awaiting the time when I can lace up my shoes, get outside and return to who I know I am.

My main concern is this (and the very experienced marathoners please feel free to chime in on this) : I will hopefully get the ok to start "light jogging"~insert my puke face here at that term~ in two weeks, that puts me at the beginning of October. My doctor (who I really do love dearly) is (in my mind) so conservative when it comes to building my base back up. I'm afraid he's going to tell me to start off by running something stupid, like a mile at a time. I want to build my base (if you can even call it that) to at least 16 miles a week by November 1st. How am I supposed to do that AND follow the 10% rule?? I'm looking to be able to train extremely hard for The Last Chance for Boston marathon in February. I normally like 16 week training plans so that's why I'm looking for my start date to be around November. Can someone help me with the logistics...

11 comments:

Kim said...

Ok, I will give you the reality check. I lost all my base after 2 months of no running-and pretty much no cardio, since biking and the elliptical hurt my IT Band the same way as running. I did the pool running, but the endurance was gone.
I did concentrate in the off months on weights though-developed a good core and upper body.
Don't focus on Last Chance as a BQ Race. It's Feb in Ohio. Last year was cold and nasty. You don't want to set yourself up for something and have the weather gods stamp you down.
See how the rehab goes (I KNOW how hard that is) and then see where you are. You may be looking more for a March-April marathon somewhere to BQ.

Maria said...

Thanks for the reality check Kim. I appreciate your honesty!

BUT...

...that being said, I'm still going to try (and I stress the word try) to do it. I would just try to qualify for the 2009 Boston marathon but I'm hoping to get pregnant in June or July of 2008 which means I won't be in any shape to run come the next April. I'm really really hoping to qualify for and do Boston in April of '08.

The weather doesn't scare me...I've been running in the Cleveland winters for years now. One of my best races was done in -7 degree temps. I prefer cold weather to warm.

Maybe I just won't get my hopes up but still try like a motherfucker to do it in February... what's the worst that can happen? I get another fracture? I freeze my ass off? If anything bad does happen I'll just go ahead and get knocked up sooner ☺

Quinto Sol said...

Don't do it... just take the recovery easy and don't rush into running a marathon... I mean... what does it prove? You know you can complete one... you might as well wait until you heal completely and train to your ability.

Wait another year for the BQ... Boston will still be there in 2009.

Soapin' Cindy said...

Go ahead and plan your plans, just not the results. In the meantime...listen to your body. What happened to the elliptical, spinning, and pool running? I could relate to your post. Much of my identity is tied up into being a runner...but I'm trying to change that thinking to someone who lives an "active" lifestyle. See you at the lab on Wednesday?

Maria said...

Thanks guys! Yeah, Quint, I know I can run a marathon but god I'd really love to qualify and run Boston before I get pregnant!

Red, the doc took away the elliptical and spinning a long time ago. And he said I could ride a stationary bike but ONLY if there was no resistance on it (which seems kinda pointless to me).

Yep, I'll be at Sean's on Wednesday! I need a good ass kickin' from that man!

Tammy said...

Great advice here, Maria.
Concentrate on your recovery first.

You want to be able to stay active while you're knocked up, trust me. Better to run Boston post-pregnancy.

Delane said...

Great advice here.

10 years ago when I injured myself I did not take my DR. advice, I did not want to lose my base (20 mi a week) so I trained before I got cleared. I then accelerated the program and did my race..all it got me was an inury with no running for 6 months..which lead to a downward spiral of excuses and weight gain after that.

My advice take it slow, its sort of like cake...there will always be another piece to eat that is just as good if not better.

Anonymous said...

Maria, you are to be commended! Quitting smoking, the weight loss, and the runner you have become is incredible! I hope your recovery and healing goes well! I didn't know you get to start running in 2 weeks, that's great! After my injuries... knee surgery, stress fracture, etc., I had to start with bike, eliptical, pool running, then start running.

But you are probably right, it will be gradual increases. As you know, the pressure on our feet from running is like 10x our body weight. So probably get some cushioned shoes and start off on grass or softer surfaces. Since you like and trust your doctor, you probably better follow his advice, so you don't end up injured again. Then see how it goes. I'm pulling for you!!

Anonymous said...

Maria,

Hang in there babe! I bet you'll come back stronger than before. Besides if you run Boston post pregnancy you'll have a bigger cheering section at the finish line - how fun!!!

Viv said...

Maria, I of course being a novice, dare I say runner, have no advice. I do however wish nothing, but the best for you. I hope this will all work out in the best possible way for you and your body.

Anonymous said...

As somone who is coming off a sesamoid fracture, I'd say forget about base building until you're both healed-up and honest with yourself how you got dinged up. Was it overtraining, strength imbalances, nutrutional snafus? In order to avoid re-injury, you want to know what went wrong.

And look, I know how it is to want to get back running--I was putting in 100 mile weeks before I got dinged. But the fact of the matter is you've got to look at your training dispassionately and logically; don't let your restlessness dictate how soon you come back and what volume with what you want to keep.

Best of luck and heal up!