Sunday, April 15, 2007

Sensational Run with Sensationally Red

These past couple weeks have been kinda hard for me in terms of running. I've joked with my friends that running is like my difficult, sometimes unwieldy lover. And let me tell you, over my last few workouts he's kinda jilted me, left me for someone who's obviously more enthralled with him. I try not to become desperate over his absence, I try and busy myself with other hobbies that are apparently more into me at this time but it's that damn Mr. Running that keeps floating through my thoughts and daydreams, so when one bad jaunt turns into three or four in row, I start questioning my relationship as any love struck woman would... "honey, is it ME??"

I bargained with myself, if my next long run didn't find me in higher spirits and better running form then I was going to flirt with Running's younger brother...Walking. But you see, I don't really Like Walking-he doesn't challenge me, and I know I could bend him to my will...how fun is that, really? So then I made myself another deal, maybe I could chum up with one of the girls that Running is fond of-maybe if I got in good with her I'd be able to catch Running's eye again. Now it's no surprise he's smitten with this woman-fiery red hair, a laid back personality and killer wit on top of it all. Her name...Sensationally Red-and I assure you, she is exactly that. I got Running to notice me, hell he was begging for my attention but alas, my focus was on her.

Ok, you get the point-I loved, loved, LOVED running with Red. It's just what my mojo needed. Reading her blog over the past couple a months has endeared me to her even before I met her in real life. The people that she talks about in her blog are lucky to have her as a friend...and yes, I CAN tell that from just one run with her. She insightful and knowledgeable without being pushy. She's full of life and it radiates off of her. And on top of it she's an extremely talented runner. I was lucky enough to tag along with her and her normal running partners-all of whom mirror her laid back, accepting personality. Since I run alone so much I sometimes forget how nice it is to have other people around for long runs. We did 12.5 miles and I swear, I felt like I could have gone forever since I was enjoying the company so much. Besides Red there was Debbie, Kurt and Roger. Kurt was planning on running 75 miles (see, running must be his bitch). I can barely stomach the thought of driving 75 miles let alone think about slogging them out on foot. Roger was slated for 20 miles so it was the three vixens of the group who stuck to the 12.5 miles. The banter between them was so comforting to hear-does that make sense? There are some people in this world whose voices just automatically put me at ease-my mother is one as well as my husband's and now I can add Red to that list. I'm very hopeful that I can run with them again-I know my next run might not be as magical as this one but with Red and her group by my side for those long runs I'm feeling as though anything is possible.

5 comments:

Pier said...

Add her blog to our links, silly!!

Maria said...

Yes ma'am!! :)

I just did!

Soapin' Cindy said...

Oh my gosh...I'm so glad you can't see my sniveling like a baby. I don't think anyone has said anything so nice about me! I really enjoyed running with you. Your post was cracking me up when you were talking about running being the bad boyfriend...the one that seeps in your mind, torments, you while you dream...but running really is different than the bad boyfriend, because running is good for you!!! Now I sound like your mother telling you to eat your broccoli! Oh, BTW, Kurt bonked at 35 miles. I think the cold was too much for everyone that day. I hear it's going to be nice on Sunday!!!

Maria said...

Poor Kurt! 35 miles is still quite a hefty distance :)If you talk to him tell him I said good job and see if he'll give you the recipe for those cookies-I've looked online everywhere and I can't find it but have been dreaming about them since Sunday!

I hope it's nice on Sunday since Pier and I will be running a race. Then next week I'm hoping to join your group again-what kind of mileage will you and Deb be doing?

Soapin' Cindy said...

You can find that recipe in the March or April issue of our running club newsletter. Go to summitathletic.com I think Kurt is still putting the newsletters online. He's our webmaster. If you can't find it there, I'll dig up my issues and get it for you. Those were good. We'll be up to doing whatever you want to next Sunday! Debi and I are going to run a little 5k in Sand Run Park on Saturday, but I'll be up to whatever on Sunday. Your call! Have fun on your 5k. Write about it!